Awesome Sauce
It's true. I was sitting in the barber chair having me hairs cut, when I overheard one stylist say to the other "awesome sauce." For a moment I was unphased as I sat there taking in my surroundings, and then I started to think that I heard something awfully familiar. They were, mind you, mocking a young lady who had her hairs cut there the day before, and were using the term as a joke, mimicking her young hippie bounce and speak. Apparently said girl liked her haircut, and while walking out of the shop, sing sang "awesome sauce" to the stylist. All who were standing around seemed to be amused by the statement and had little understanding of what it meant.
Could it be that the creators of weak sauce actually started something here? For those unfamiliar with what I'm speaking of here, a group of friends (some with links on the sidebar) I knew in Iowa had a way with words and finding or creating terms they were rather fond of and litterally beating us all to death with their use until they stuck. Like I said, not all terms were created, just used in specific situations, such as Elite, Weed Head (WH) and Damn, and typically had a certain way they must be said.
Now weak sauce, as far as I'm concerned, was really quite unique and truly does have its roots in Ames. Soyboy references and defines the term here. I believe some credit could even be given to the venue of Bali Satay and their not-so-weak sauces. We used the term among ourselves and introduced it to new friends, and we all eventually moved to other parts of the country. Somehow, it has spread in Portland, and I want to set the origin straight. Check out this article in the Portland Mercury, where the term is used at the end of the second paragraph. And I also randomly saw it used on craigslist last summer by someone I couldn't identify. What's the deal, yo?
So, somewhere in all of this, the term Awesome Sauce emerged. Do you think we had something to do with it?


6 Comments:
i believe the original antonym for 'weak sauce' was 'hot sauce'. it didn't take 'hot sauce' long to be deemed lame along the lines of 'jif' and removed from the lexicon.
i concur. hot sauce was one of the many black sheep of linguistical delights, and was meant to be in direct contrast to its bitchass distant cousin, weak sauce. awesome sauce is one that i am unfamiliar...
Elite Sauce?
No offense, but "Elite Sauce" is lame.
wikipedia seems to have info on fish sauce, hot sauce, and even bearnaise sauce. perhaps its time that its pages are graced with the glory that is weak sauce...
Actually, Awesome Sauce is an expression that originated in 2002, on message forums for the online MMORPG Runescape.
Post a Comment
<< Home