The Real Nancy Drew - Super Sleuth

WWND: What Would Nancy Do?

Thursday, July 06, 2006

No More “I Love Yous” Mr. Egg Man

The results are in and I am officially, off the charts, allergic to eggs. Oh eggy weggy, how I love your runny, yellow yolk as my toast’s salty accompaniment. I literally have been consuming eggs in their natural state several days a week all my life, not to mention all the other products that contain eggs. They are difficult to avoid if you’re not monitoring labels and avoiding them on purpose. My other ailment? I’m extremely anemic, not in the usual form of being low in iron, but in B12 and folic acid, so my blood doesn’t carry enough oxygen through my body.

My list of “I’ve gotta’s” has been growing out of control and I finally took advantage of my work health insurance policy and went to see a naturopath. They did blood tests to learn my current diagnosis.

While I seem to be a pretty healthy person, I’ve started to realize that the amount of fatigue and heartburn/acid reflux are pretty out of control for someone my age. I used to blame it on the coffee and my minor substance abuse. Of course I’m tired, I spent the morning smoking pot and painting the basement. Or I had two IPA’s last night. Or I’m working five jobs so I’m a little stressed and just plain tired. The thing is, I’m pretty mellow these days and sleep eight hours a night, and my symptoms are as bad as ever.

Truth is, I’m fucking exhausted almost all the time, but I just push through. I still go for jogs and get a lot done, but now I know my desire to literally crawl under my desk and nap every afternoon is justified. The main symptoms of my type of anemia are:
*Tiredness (check)
*Dizziness and fainting (check – I’ve been know to pass out but blamed that on the drugs as well)
*Shortness of breath (check- must be the cigs even though I quit)
*Rapid or uneven heartbeat (check – bad nerves)

It is very exciting to know that I can now treat this and may start to feel better. Rossi probably recalls dragging me on shopping excursions where I would literally hit a state of exhaustion that I couldn’t deal anymore.

I’m prescribed morning smoothies packed with nutrients (hello Soyboy, I have as many little bottles and droppers as you now) and since my blood levels read as low as they do, they want to give me weekly B12 injections. I mix licorice capsules in water two times a day and sip to heal my damaged esophagus, started doing daily doses of apple cider vinegar and now I’m on my way to living an energetic lifestyle. What the eggs actually did to my system, I’m not really sure, but the lack of them should prove to be helpful. My plans to build a chicken coup in my backyard don’t seem so practical anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger spenser villwock said...

have you gotten a second opinion?

7/10/2006 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home