Girl on Girl Love in Seventeen
Seventeen Magazine brings back old memories. Most of them revolve around me being nine or ten years old and reading my sister's magazines while I was skipping school. I started skipping school in 3rd grade since my mom would leave for work before I had to catch the bus. I would dress, eat my bowl of cereal, and after she left go and put my pajamas back on. Anyway, I probably haven't read that mag since I was about 12.
A couple of weeks ago I went to the mall to have my feet soaked, scrubbed, buffed and polished in preparation for the big wedding going down in ABQ. The cute girl that was tending to me at the nail factory went to grab me some magazines and returned with Ebony and Seventeen. Odd choices, but I flipped through Seventeen.
To my surprise they had a story written by a young girl describing her first crush on a girl and how she came to realize she was a lesbian. They never wrote about that stuff back when I was a kid, and the article was pretty sweet yet somewhat simple. Nonetheless, I consider it progressive for Seventeen. Most of the time they write about how to look hot at prom and how to be sure he'll notice you.
In the story Girl #1 was 14 years old and at church when she became mesmerized with Girl #2. She introduced herself after the sermon, but didn't see her again. Gril #1 dated lots of boys and didn't know what it was like to like girls. In the fall when she switched schools it turned out that the special, mesmerizing Girl #2 was there and they became friends. They went to the movies one night and accidentally brushed hands. Girl #1 got that warm feeling and started to fall in love.
She didn't think anyone would understand, but within a week or so of realizing her feelings for Girl #2 she came out to her friends as a lesbian. Not bi, but the whole, "I'm a lesbian" thing. She didn't ever really know much about it but seemed to be quite sure. Friends apparently shrugged shoulders and said "that's cool." Then she told Girl #2, and what was her response? Well, of course it was "I like girls too!" How perfect.
It ended with Girl #1 flashing forward to say they had been together for four years now and were planning to get married and have a family. No mention of how they broke to their family or any other difficulties they likely experienced being high school lesbian lovers. All's good and the end.
OK, I guess. Part of me wants to say bullshit. So, they're saying it has been one big party, everyone is happy and accepting, and at the ripe age of 19 or so they want to marry and have children? Without dating other people? What about screwing around with other girls (or boys) in the dorms? What exactly is the message here? If it were a straight couple would they be talking about the whole marriage and family thing so young or would Seventeen be talking about going to college, being independent, you can do it, how to look good, fun with friends, blah, blah, blah.
Personally, I think they were trying to candy-coat this a little and keep it pure. The editors probably sat around the table saying, let's do a story about a girl crush, but not make it at all promiscuous. We won't mention anything about sex or making out or hot attraction, just how they touched hands and fell in love and are best friends and want a family together. I could be wrong, but I recall all the other stories they usually do around romance in these rags to be quite light, and considering this is for teenage girls, they really don't ever talk about marriage.
Regardless of the flaws I found in the happy story, I must give Seventeen props because they are at least talking about girls getting together. The thought definitely crossed my mind at that age and most girly magazines usually only focused on fashion, weight and men. I must admit, all their stories are probably pretty candy coated, this one just got my attention. In the end, it is pretty cool that same sex couples are being addressed in the mainstream teen culture. It's probably a wakeup call for parents too. The times they are a-changin.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home